It’s Valentine’s Day. There’s red roses, pink hearts and over-the-top declarations of “Will you be mine?” pretty much everywhere. And that’s ok. For some, Valentine’s Day is a day to express romantic feelings and shower your partner with a little extra affection, go all out. For others, just the mention of Valentine’s Day is cringeworthy. It could be that life’s been a little overwhelming lately and you’ve already got enough on your plate, or maybe your cash flow is actually more of trickle (seriously, how much are you actually supposed to spend on V-Day anyways?!?!), maybe your relationship is a little tense or possibly even nonexistent. Whether you’re cash strapped or just not head-over-heels for this love-filled holiday, we’ve got your back!
For those partaking in the holiday, Valentine’s doesn’t have to be expensive. There’s lots that you can do (while keeping it totally PG) that doesn’t cost anything and is still sweet, romantic and lots of fun!
- Go for a walk or a picnic in the park. There’s lots of beautiful scenery throughout the city (Henderson Lake or Nicholas Sheran are especially picturesque), pick a place, take a stroll, make a memory.
- Go ice skating. There’s nothing more romantic that skating hand in hand as snowflakes gently fall around you. Don’t forget to bring along a thermos of hot coca for a sweet little treat.
- Cook your favorite meal together rather than going out to a restaurant. You’ll enjoy a few laughs and some quality time together while saving some big bucks.
- Start a new hobby together. Maybe you’ve always wanted to go rock climbing or get more creative and start painting. Pick something you both think you’d enjoy and start a new tradition together.
- Write a poem or a love letter (or hey, even a sweet text will do). Sometimes it’s easier to express our feeling when we put pen to paper, rather than stand face to face. So, let yourself be a little vulnerable and tell that someone special exactly what they mean to you.
That being said, not everyone is looking for something romantic on Valentine’s. So whether you’re single (by chance or by choice) or you’re just not that into it, do something that makes YOU happy.
- Take some time for yourself. What’s something you’d love to do, but never actually get around to doing? Maybe you’ve been wanting a mani/pedi, or maybe you’d like to binge watch the latest season of your favorite show on Netflix…do it!!!
- Take your love and share it with someone else. You could volunteer your time or even just leave a kind note for the neighbor down the way. Toss some kindness into someone else’s day.
- Take some time to connect with someone important to you. Life is busy and it’s easy to lose touch with even the closest of friends simply due to chaotic schedules. Thanks to modern conveniences, you can talk face to face across the globe. So take a few extra minutes to catch up and reconnect.
- Grab a group or fly solo, but get out and get some exercise! Studies show that physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. What’s not to like about that?
- Make plans with family or friends. It can be brunch or a movie marathon, go out or stay in. Either way you’ll be spending some quality time with people you really do enjoy.